Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Finge Lakes Grape Pie

Upstate New York has some pretty unique local foods, something I didn't really expect when I moved here. 'Hots' are pretty good, and 'Garbage Plates' are something that I haven't mustered up the courage to try yet. But the one that gave me the biggest surprise upon first hearing about it was the Grape Pie. No matter what my cousin said, it just sounded weird - you half expect something like grape jelly to be inside the crust, or to get some bizarre texture.

When my manager brought one to a work party soon after I started, I was a bit leery - but, like usual, willing to try anything once.

Oh. My. Goodness. Heaven on a fork. I am sure my eyes bugged out when the flavor exploded in my mouth. That slice didn't last long. Neither did the next one. And before I left the party - I made sure I got the recipe.

3 C Concord grapes
1 C sugar
3 Tbs cornstarch
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs butter, melted
Pastry for 2 9-inch crusts

Preheat oven to 450.

1. Wash, drain, and stem grapes.
2. Remove and save grape skins. Simmer pulp for 5 minutes.
3. While hot, press pulp through a sieve to remove seeds (my manager uses a potato ricer and says it is MUCH easier.)
4. Combine strained pulp with skins - beat to break up skins.
5. Combine sugar and cornstarch and add to grapes. Blend in lemon juice and butter.
6. Pour into a 9-inch pie crust. Cover with top crust and poke a few holes in the top. (This pie is also delicious with a sugar/flour/butter crumb topping in place of an upper pie crust)

Bake at 450 for ten minutes. Reduce temperature to 350, and continue to bake for an extra 30 minutes. Make sure you have a cookie sheet underneath to catch the inevitable overflow.

Allow the pie to cool and set in a fridge for at least 3 hours. If you cut into it too soon it will be runny, but once it sets you can reheat it and it will hold it's shape.

This is unlike any other pie I have had - rich and sweet, yet also fruity and tart. The color is vibrant - like a purple crayon, and the texture is smooth. The flavor - simply mouthwatering. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment