Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

This was an awesome idea Christy! Right now I'm still dealing with a new baby and all the lack of time and sleep that goes with that so I've taken a bit of a cooking hiatus. In fact I signed up for the E-Mealz menu service Auburn posted on her blog (hopefully you got credit for my referral Auburn since I linked through the banner you put up) so I can't really post any of those recipes but I do have an amazing 100% whole wheat bread recipe to share. Even with the new baby I still manage to find to bake some almost every week because it's just that good and I can't bring myself to go back to store bought bread after being spoiled for so long on homemade. It's actually really easy to make and while it does take a fair amount of time from start to finish most of that time is rise time where all you need to do is let it sit while you do something else. Very little actual effort is required.

100% Honey Whole Wheat Bread
3/4 C Hot water
2 C Milk
1/4 C Olive oil
1/3 C Honey
1 T Salt
4 t Yeast
1/2 C Vital wheat gluten
4-8 C Whole wheat flour
  1.  Preheat oven to lowest setting and then turn oven off. Meanwhile combine all ingredients (start with 4 C flour) into a stand mixer with a dough hook or bread machine (I do not recommend attempting to knead the dough by hand). 
  2. Use the lowest setting on your mixer to knead the dough. Slowly add more flour 1 C at a time until the dough forms a ball and doesn't stick to the sides of the mixer. Allow the mixer to knead the dough for 10 minutes. 
  3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and then a clean dish cloth and place in the warm oven to rise until double original size, usually a little over an hour (You can skip this step if you like but the dough will be slightly less soft).
  4. Punch the dough down and divide into 2 equal portions. Shape each piece into a cylinder or rectangular shape approximately the size of the pan. Try to make sure the tops of your loaves are relatively smooth and even. Spray 2 bread pans with cooking spray and place the loaves in the pan.
  5. Return the dough to the warm oven and cover the pans with a clean towel until the bread has risen to 1- 1 1/2 inches above the top of the pans (The original recipe says to let it raise at least 2 inches above the pan but I've never gotten my loaves that big. Maybe because I usually only need 6 C of flour or less).
  6. Carefully remove the towel and turn the oven on to 375. After 15 min reduce heat to 350 and cook for an additional 18-20 minutes. Allow bread to sit a few minutes in the pan before transferring them to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment